Style Vs Style debate

In the PM forum

the mantis vs BJJ thread wasn’t an attempt to discredit either mantis or BJJ. It was attempt to examine how a mantis exponent would approach a BJJ exponent in a hypothetical fight.

It was a great thread. We looked at our stereotypes of BJJ, whether they were accurate or not, and attempted to work around those problems that presented themselves by following PM concepts and principles. As a PM exponent, I would enourage this as a beginning step to become a better martial artist, fighter, and representative of your style or martial philosophy.

If evidence is to the contrary that PM or CMA are affective, that doesn’t worry me. What worries me is that I’m not making it effective myself. Application, hard work, and dedication to a style is what will make you a good fighter, not what style or aspect of a style a successful fighter is using. However, educating yourself about them is good.

Have a good weekend all.

I am so freakin tired of this stupid line of thought. Blah blah…this style lost in ufc or nhb..blah blah, that makes this style better.

First off..Nhb and Ufc aren’t the end all tests for a style’s effectiveness.

Secondly, there are highly evolved fighters in any system worth its salt, kung fu included, I do not deny that BJJ and MT pump out great fighters, so why do you people insist on dragging my art through the mud?

Thirdly, does nhb and ufc allow arm breaks, shin breaks, knee breaks, elbow breaks, finger breaks, toe breaks, gouging, clawing, chops to the throat, pulling hair, rending, ripping, tearing, or stomping? What about dislocation? do they allow dislocation of the elbow, knee, or shoulders? What about neck breaks? can we do those? Groin shots? And dare I mention pressure points? And, Ill say that you assume too much if you think these techniques are not an integral part of my art and application. Not just “added” on.

Fourth, I’ve yet to see a really good trad fighter in any of these blasted ring matches. You base your superiority on winning against mediocre fighters.

Fifth, most kung fu guys wouldn’t be caught dead in a ufc or nhb ring. Because we realize fighting isn’t a game, not an exhibition. Fighting is serious. When fighting, we must be prepared to hurt, maim, or even kill. In fact, we try to avoid fights. So ring combat or whatever is against our ideology which is this.

Move rather than block
Block rather than strike
Strike rather than break
Break rather than maim
Maim rather than kill
Kill rather than be killed

Listen as a deer, poised and alert,
Stand as a lion, muscled and ready,
See as an eagle, clear and from afar,
Think as a snake, deadly and unblinking,
Kill as a mongoose, swift and silent,
Die like a man.

For all life is precious,
Nor can any be replaced.

Never misuse what you learn

We do not take fighting lightly.

Stop watching fight club 3 times a day! And please cease from slandering arts you know next to nothing about.

Gabriel

Absolutely no absolutes…

Originally posted by Ralek
[B]

The reason Kung fu has lost is becuase it doesnt’ work. Kung fu is just a bunch of forms and prearagned drills. This makes good looking forms and drills but it doesn’t create any fighitng ability. In fact kung fu actually HINDERS your fighting ability. You fight how you train and when you train to be in funny stances and throw ineffective techniques you will lose. It’s been proven time and time again that you are better off just fighitng like a drunk and throwing haymakers than using kung fu.

BJJ, Muay thai, wrestling. These 3 styles consitantly win. Some styles are effective and some are not.

But it’s just as naive to say that all styles work as it is to say that all styles suck.

Do all styles suck? No.
Do all styles work? No.
Do some styles work? Yes.

Styles that work = BJJ, Wrestling, Muay thai, kickboxing, Sambo, boxing

Don’t let opinions get in the way. Look to the results of actual fights. [/B]

Wow. I guess that covers all of reality fighting. You’ve won the argument, now we can move on to the next assanine post. BTW, did you guys know that Rorion Gracie sponsored and selected the “Martial Artists” that fought in those initial UFCs? UFC was really a debut of GJJ in America (although it had been here for many years). Over the years many people had drifted from the less-flashy grappling-based arts and were training in the striking arts. Rorion wanted respect for his father’s style. Oh, and BTW that Heavyweight champ was really a Cruiser Weight ex-Champ (WBO?). Prior to UFC, I had never heard of those “champions” and BBs that fought in it. I guess if UFC and its promotions staff says that they were champs then that makes it so. Just like Raleks opinion. Think about it.

Ralek/Rolls claims that the grappling sports and striking sports are the most effective in these matches. With the quality of strikers that have been a part of MMAs in the past, I wouldn’t brag about success rates. Hell, Royce has been training since he was an embryo. He was a true master technician of his artform. Those other cats were scrubs, and wanna-be tough guys. There were some exceptions though.

The strikers with real skill like Maurice Smith, Keith Hackney and Chuck Lidell (who is still awesome) came from a very strong kickboxing or Kenpo Karate background. To think that a kickboxer is different than a traditionalist who is good at full-contact kumite, is just naive. Most good karate guys are good at forms AND kickboxing. That’s just the facts. Anyway, Kenpo isn’t the most feared style amongst classical practitioners. They are no better or worse than a good traditional Chuan Fa or Karate Black Sash/Belt. They just train for NHB events differently, and part of that training is to become acclimated to standing and ground grappling (if they already aren’t).

When it comes to opinions about what actual fights are or aren’t then we may have a disagreement there. I’ve seen lots of real life fights since I was young, and they are NOTHING like the controlled adrenalin-rush of a confrontation that is not life-or-death. The key here is “life-or-death”. If you’re an adult knucklehead who wants to fight me for some ill-conceived reason, then you gotta know (or maybe you won’t have a clue) I’m asking for no quarter 'cause, definitely, none will be given. You gotta understand that the way some folks approach training is like that. Nothing else. Ever. They trust in their own judgement, and the teachings of their instructor(s). They don’t give a flying frick what some uninitiated fool wants reality to be. That is something the individual practitoners figure out for themselves.

Donn Draeger was a very accomplished Judoka. He did Judo when it was a lot like what you see in NHB events now. Newaza heavy. His knowledge of the various fighting arts of Asia and the world was astounding. He was the only non-Japanese to hold the rank of Budo Kyoshi (Master of the Warriors Way). He was the first non-Japanese Judo instructor at the famous Kodokan in Tokyo. He held several BBs in numerous systems. He was an accomplished Western Boxer. He was a real Gaijin Samurai if there is such a thing. He was good friends with John Bluming and Kimura (who beat Helio Gracie). He was respected highly by all who trained, sparred or came in contact with him. Although he admired the raw destructiveness of Kodokan Judo and the Samurai traditions, he also understood the fighting acumen of TCMA great Wang Shujin (Neijia). A friend of Draeger, Wang would often visit him in Japan and put on demonstrations where he would take on all challengers regardless of style. He was never defeated. While staying with Don he would often use the support posts of the hosts house as a kind of Makiwara. He would shake the house at its foundations, and often guests would stare in awe at his strength and technique. His knowledge of Tai Chi was extraordinary, and he knew how to use it for real self-protection. Draeger and Bluming would often challenge blow-hards and MAs “experts”. They would often be denied. Sometimes they sparred the cat and whupped him real good. Don never, ever even considered challenging Wang and other Chinese martial artists like him. Mr. Draeger would remark that it would probably be the last challenge he would or could ever make.

He also co-wrote a book called “Shaolin Lohan Kung Fu”. He writes on page 162… (Regarding the Okinawan, Japanese and Korean karate-like arts) “Another salient difference between Shaolin and the karate-like arts of Korea, Okinawa and Japan is that in shaolin there is no emphasis placed on any kind of combative contact practice. There is no free-exercise kind of approach to the use of technique for the purpose of testing the relative skills of the exponents,either in training or sporting competition. No really conclusive test is possible between exponents of shaolin except that which is made in a real fight, for shaolin techniques are inherently dangerous ones and do not easily lend themselves to control measures such as may be applied through expedients such as contest rules or the use of protective body armor. Shaolin, in its orthodox form, is not a game to be played for the entertainment of an audience or the whims of sports-minded exponents…”

According to Draeger, who wrote this book after his lifelong study in many combat related arts, forms, two-man application drills, body-hardening and other supplemental training made the shaolin practitioners very deadly and effective fighters. No MMAs training required.

Food for thought.

Food for thought… let me tell you how bored I am of this topic :slight_smile:

Ok–to the guy that talked about fighting being serious business–give me a BREAK. Unless you are part of an armed service or a cop or maybe (a stretch–a bouncer) we do this for fun. It’s like those who think Football is REALLY important.

Don Drager was NOT the first non-japenese judo instructor.

The first foreign pupil of Proffessor Kano was an American Engilsh teacher and ex-heavyweight wrestler by the name of Dr. Fiau Eastlake in 1885.

There was also the Captian Allan Smith who taught h2h at Camp Benning, he recieved his first dan on January 9th, 1916 at the Kodokan in Kodokan Ju Jitsu (Judo).

Captain W.E. Fairbairn had his Nidansha (2nd Dan) signed by Kano I also believe in 1926.

NHB

LOL at Gabriel!

That’s why people compete. To fight for fun and money and prestige.

I fight for fun.

And to answer your question about NHB rules… yes, some Vale Tudo events in Brazil have only two rules (as well as the earlier PrideFC’s and UFC’s), which were 1. no eye gouging and 2. no biting. So almost all the techniques that you mentioned are allowed.

And it’s not the style that is superior. It’s the training methods.

Condition the body to full contact. 100% resistance in your training partner.

RIF…

Originally posted by Black Jack
[B]Don Drager was NOT the first non-japenese judo instructor.

[/B]

BJ: Get it straight. I said that he was the first non-Japanese KODOKAN JUDO SENSEI!!!

Don’t try and school me about anything martial. Please!

MP: If you think fighting is fun then you have a neurotic condition called, Sado-Masochism. Sex ain’t always involved with that deal! In other words you find hurting others enjoyable and you get a rise out of being hurt too! Must be the mutant albino killer african gene manifesting itself again!

I’ve been in numerous real fights, both in the military and civilian. It was never fun, especially for the person receiving a royal beatdown.

You wouldn’t think fighting was fun if you didn’t grow up in merry old Limeyton (J/K). You guys not only worship SOCCER you friggin’ start riots over the most boring sport in the world! Go figure!

What’s up with people seeing reality for what it is? I guess the human race is doomed, and we just might deserve it!

To clarify–I like sport-fighting in a reasonably controlled environment.

I don’t particularly like fighting now that I’m an adult. Too aware of the consequences both legally and getting shanked, etc… but I had a bit of a temper back in the day…

Who’s the Best

First of all to be the best, you have to show up.

What if, the so called “Trads” in your particualar area aren’t that good. Then all you have done is prove that you can beat Trads that suck.

BJJ may be the dominant fighting art in your neck of the woods but until you have every Trad school show up to your events you’ll never now and the slippery slope goes on.

I’m sure in other areas of the world BJJ is not the dominant art in the area and that other art is claiming to be superior.

I think its all a big ego trip myself. I used too be that way, then I got tired of beating peoples a$$e$. HAHAHAHa

What you’re really saying then is that it was an ego trip for YOU.

I just compete because I like to. I don’t limit myself to the small or the big tourneys—I compete every opportunity I can, that I’m prepared for. I enjoy it an awful lot.

I’ll tell you why

Hey I don’t care one way or the other if anybody competes, however, the majority of people who compete got something to prove. It was a braod generalization not aimed at the few people who are actually warriors.

Define the difference.

I’m not chastizing–genuinely curious.

Pressure points?

Why dosen’t a traditionialist just enter a NHB fight and use his/her traditional techniques.

I mean enter and win;not just enter…

That would end this stupid debate.

The Difference

I take it you mean the difference between a Warrior and Pit fighter.

Well the definition is relative. But what I’ve come to know of the differences is that a Warrior trains for knowledge health and fights out of necessity, not for show, pride, wealth.

So the fact that I compete for fun instead of necessity makes me which of those?

Do I have to spell it out

Well going by the parameter you gave me “fun”, I would say Pit fighter.

Now had you said you compete as for the purpose of training and gaining knowledge. It would have went the other way.

But ya gave it up to “fun” so I declare you “A PIT FIGHTER”

carry on.

there was a game called Pit Fighter or Pit Fighting, it was fun

There seems to be an assumtion that if an art isn’t in NHB than it won’t work on the street. I have one instructor that used Okinawan karate not just on the streets but in various lonely places around the world. This guy is as traditional as they come but he’s still down right lethal. Now in support of MP and Omegapoints points, he’s also a helluva kickboxer. Could he beat Chuck Liddell in a UFC contest? Maybe yes, maybe no. But could Randy Coutre or Chuck or Matt Thorton take out someone who’s got an AK-74 pointed at their head?

From all of Merry’s posts I think it’s safe to assume he competes for the love of the art, and the knowledge and enjoyment of of that said art. That’s hardly a “barbarian” …

Just because somebody fights in a ring doesn’t make them some kind of sadomasichist (I hate that word :smiley: )

Just because someone DOESN’T fight in a ring doesn’t make him a coward or some fluffy fraud.

Learn to train. Enjoy your training time. There’s time for solo training and time for hardcore sparring. There’s time for a lot of things. Bottom line is that you should train. You should train all you can. Prepare yourself realistically for what’s out there. Thing evolve. It’s okay.

I practice Japanese swordsmanship myself. Does that make me a phony? I really am starting to love ninpo philosophy. Does that make me unable to train newaza and contact grappling?

I take time to spar hard, grapple hard, and condition my body hard. Does that make me a barbarian?

:slight_smile:
To be honest, I bet you a lot of styles will begin to evolve.

Originally posted by chokeyouout
[B]Pressure points?

Why dosen’t a traditionialist just enter a NHB fight and use his/her traditional techniques.

I mean enter and win;not just enter…

That would end this stupid debate. [/B]

Well.. someone already has! Check these links out.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.ca/HTML/Rumble5/09JeremiahJason.htm

http://www.mixedmartialarts.ca

"Name Style Weight Height
Jeremiah Cram Tai Chi 191 6’

(When there is more than one weight listed, the first weight is for the first fight…)

Jeremiah fought Jason Sagal and Won (Split Decision) at Roadhouse Rumble V on 23-Feb-02. "

Oh and by the way it seems that the kickboxer got a busted mouth. I suggest that you shut your ignorant mouth and start being more respectful.