Dan Dao (, “single knife”)
Good Comparison of basic types.
Nice diagram The Niuweidao (Chinese: ; literally: Ox-Tailed Sword) was a type of Chinese saber (dao) of the late Qing Dynasty period. A heavy bladed weapon with a characteristic flaring tip, it was primarily a civilian weapon, as Imperial troops were never issued it.
Here is a pictorial of the major types of single Sabers. #4 is the Oxtail
can you name the others?
Wan dao (yuan dao), yanmao dao, liuye dao.
I don’t know much about Chinese Swordsmanship. What are the pros and cons of the various saber shapes?
You know how some people have a variety of kitchen knives?
It’s like that, just bigger. ![]()
Cool diagrams, ngokfei.
Here’s a pretty extensive description sheet
Yun/Yuan Dao () - Circular/Round Knife
Wan/Waan Dao() - Curved/Circular Knife
Many are used to calling it a version of the Arabic Scimitar
Another version I’ve seen has it looking very much more like a Sickle.
And even the terms are used in a movie title.
Just giving our Boy Gene a hand in promoting the sponsors products 1st:![]()
Thanks for the plug, ngokfei
Anyone ever seen a form with those circular knives (the double ended ones)? Not a movie form - I’m curious to see a minjian or chuantong taolu. I’m not sure that I’ve even seen an authentic antique of those. Many ‘historic’ weapons are actually fabrications from opera or temple ornament weapons. That doesn’t necessarily invalidate them - those can be antique too - but they were never combat weapons.
Its probably a spin off of the Middleastern Daggers known as the Khukuri/Gurka and the Janbiya.
This is the only one I’ve seen that is double bladed.
this is also a cool example but with something extra.
Totally not into double bladed weapons…way too likely to stab myself. Almost skewered my thigh the one time I ever played with hook swords. :o
Practice Practice
Perhaps you may want to start with a pair of practice wooden ones. like these.
but from what I read those hook swords are made of pine.
I’d like to recommend a great wood worker here in the USA who makes a wide variety of Chinese Practice Weapons. “Raven STudios”
The quality speaks for itself.
[QUOTE=ShaolinDan;1224936]Totally not into double bladed weapons…way too likely to stab myself.[/QUOTE]
I agree 100% with this statement. Plus, anytime I watch somebody using these fantasy weapons they seem way to slow in their movements.
I have a question for ngokfei. If the Ox Tailed Sword is the civilian model then which one is used for military? I just assumed it was for the military as well as civilians but I admit that I’m no expert on Chinese bladed weapons. Personally I like knives or a good Kukri and for swords I prefer the Krabi or Dha. Katanas are nice also but the shorter Krabi/Dha swords move better for me.
[QUOTE=ngokfei;1224953]but from what I read those hook swords are made of pine.
I’d like to recommend a great wood worker here in the USA who makes a wide variety of Chinese Practice Weapons. “Raven STudios”
The quality speaks for itself.[/QUOTE]
those look nice
Here’s a link to Raven Studios for those who don’t participate in Facebook.
http://www.little-raven.com/RS/MA/
I agree with Lucas. Looks like some fine work. It makes me want to break out the lathe and try my hand at making some of my own practice weapons and maybe even a mook jong. I have some fresh eastern red cedar, oak and hickory that I recently cut down to make room for our garden. I set a bunch aside for milling into planks, flooring and such but I think I’ll repurpose some of it to make some new toys.
pretty badass and scary at the same time…how people used to carve each other up in battlefields with them…i’d rather be sprayed with an AK-47 over this joint any day if i had to go out.