Kung Fu Weapons

how much for a wooden jian? :smiley:

Were hook swords used in the military? They strike me as very unwieldy.

[QUOTE=Lucas;1224975]how much for a wooden jian? :D[/QUOTE]

just use a stick, bro. i use sticks of varying lengths. sticks is a the traditional training weapon in kung fu.

[QUOTE=pazman;1224977]Were hook swords used in the military? They strike me as very unwieldy.[/QUOTE]

non fantasy hooks dont have the fancy guard or the handle spike.

well known hook weapons were the hook spear and hook mace.

I just like having hard wood replica for sparring, so I can have the guard…Where do you get good sticks from in the city though? Its probably easier for me to go buy a cheap wood jian at this blade store i know but it will break really fast. Plus I don’t drive, I ride a skateboard everywhere I go, so getting to a forest is hard, cuz I have no friends.

[QUOTE=Lucas;1225007]…Where do you get good sticks from in the city though? [/QUOTE]

i get mine from a garbage dump, i also got copper pipes from furniture store.

you can also buy a mop and take off the handle

you are gung fu genius

[QUOTE=bawang;1225004]just use a stick, bro. i use sticks of varying lengths. sticks is a the traditional training weapon in kung fu.

non fantasy hooks dont have the fancy guard or the handle spike.

well known hook weapons were the hook spear and hook mace.[/QUOTE]

Cool. One of my teachers has a set of hooks that are much smaller, without guards, and much heavier than the fantasy ones I’ve seen. I’ll ask him next time I see him if he knows how to use them.

With all the genuinely cool weapons in CMA, why do people always resort back to fantasy ones?

[QUOTE=Lucas;1225007]I just like having hard wood replica for sparring, so I can have the guard…Where do you get good sticks from in the city though? Its probably easier for me to go buy a cheap wood jian at this blade store i know but it will break really fast. Plus I don’t drive, I ride a skateboard everywhere I go, so getting to a forest is hard, cuz I have no friends.[/QUOTE]

If you want to spar with jian, get a child-size kendo shinai. These are cheap, will last a long time, and not so dangerous to spar with. You can use with or without a guard.

goldenbrain:

Ming & Qing Dynasty Dao’s tended to be the

yanmao dao (goose quill/feather Knife/saber) and the

liuye dao (willow leaf knife/saber)

I was told the basic differences in the images I showed of the 4 types are:

Wan Dao/Pian Dao - optimized for slicing
Yan Mao Dao - straight w/ curved tip, thus less effective slicer
Liu Yie Dao - gently curved thus a better slicer without totally sacrificing the thrust
Niu Wei Dao - optimized for cleaving/cutting through, losing an effective thrust

Ming & Qing Dynasty Dao’s tended to be the

yanmao dao (goose quill/feather Knife/saber) and the

liuye dao (willow leaf knife/saber)

I was told the basic differences in the images I showed of the 4 types are:

“Wan Dao/Pian Dao - optimized for slicing
Yan Mao Dao - straight w/ curved tip, thus less effective slicer
Liu Yie Dao - gently curved thus a better slicer without totally sacrificing the thrust
Niu Wei Dao - optimized for cleaving/cutting through, losing an effective thrust”

In the end all the training is only useful if you can transfer it to whatever you get your hands on.

Why should you spar with a “Period Piece Designed” weapon is merely to get skilled at the techniques you’ve probably been training all along in the form.

For me its kind of like doing the various levels of chi sao/tui sao/nim sao. Each has specific rules or guidelines so your forced to work on those techniques that are allowed/inclusive. Kind of like why you should train your jab on both the right and left side even though your a south paw.

[QUOTE=Lucas;1225007]Where do you get good sticks from in the city though?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bawang;1225008]i get mine from a garbage dump, i also got copper pipes from furniture store.

you can also buy a mop and take off the handle[/QUOTE]

I like what bawang said, but as an alternative you could also go to the local hardware store and find a hardwood dowel or curtain rod.

If you plan on sparring with them then do what pazman said or order rattan. Hardwood likes to splinter which can be dangerous when sparring. If you go with rattan sticks then I would highly recommend this site. http://kalisticks.webs.com/apps/webstore/

I have ordered several of his premium sticks and they are all beautiful and perfectly matched in pairs. Unfortunately he doesn’t make staffs yet but you can get those from… https://www.tigerclaw.com/rattan-bo-martial-arts-pr-6240.html

[QUOTE=ngokfei;1225014]goldenbrain:

Ming & Qing Dynasty Dao’s tended to be the

yanmao dao (goose quill/feather Knife/saber) and the

liuye dao (willow leaf knife/saber)

I was told the basic differences in the images I showed of the 4 types are:

Wan Dao/Pian Dao - optimized for slicing
Yan Mao Dao - straight w/ curved tip, thus less effective slicer
Liu Yie Dao - gently curved thus a better slicer without totally sacrificing the thrust
Niu Wei Dao - optimized for cleaving/cutting through, losing an effective thrust[/QUOTE]

Thank you Eric! Much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Bladed weapons need to be stored properly to prevent warping and corroding/rusting.

If the already have a case then you can pretty much put them anywhere. If they don’t then they need to be hung up in a rack.

We sell a very basic rack for that purpose and for only $49.95 (plus S&H)

Its also important to store your bladed weapons properly for safety prevent warping and corrosion/rust.

If they come with a case/scabbard then that great. If not then some sort of rack is needed.

I sell a basic rack just for this purpose at only $49.95 (plus S&H)

[QUOTE=ngokfei;1224373]Dan Dao (, “single knife”)[/QUOTE]

I train single edge sword (Dan Dao) regularly. It would be good to own and train the one that you showed in your post. But perhaps the length is too long for me. The ideal specifications for my size would be 32 inches in total length and one lb. in weight.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

For size I was shown to hold a Dan DAo cupped in your hand by the Guard. the tip of the blade just below your ear lobe.

1lb is very light and I’ve not held a Real saber that was that light. Most were between 2 1/2 and 3 lbs.

Since your in HK there should be no problem find either a great practice one or even a real antique at a reasonable price.

or may be not according to this recent article I found banning wushu/kung fu weapons in HK.

http://www.scmp.com/article/592529/ban-weapons-strangles-tradition

Ngokfei,

The sword that I have now is the first and only one that I bought ten years ago. It is a real weapon - single edge broad sword made of steel. Originally, it was 35 inches long and weighted 2.3 lbs. The centre of gravity is 3 inches away from the hand guard, which is not quite good. I paid a mechanic to have it trimmed down to 32 ins long, 1.25 lbs., and narrower all along the blade body (still not sharpened). Because I could not train with it without straining my wrist no matter what. It is fun to mention that in the autobiography, Total Recall, written by Arnold Schwarzenegger, he said the sword used by him in the movie, Conan the Barbarian, weighs 11 lbs. It is a heavy duty weapon good for piercing and hacking through armour together with bone and fresh. At the end of the day, the weapon that we choose to train must be compatible with the student’s physique and purpose. That is what techniques he wants to perform with it.

Sure, there are good real sabers available in town. They cost at least HKD 1,000 each. Any way, I have not much in intention to change sword. Skill is more important than the tool is one big reason. Besides, I am not very dissatisfied with my sword right now.

As a side track of the topic, there are some points that I do not agree with in the article you mentioned. I did some research in the local law in this matter at around the time I bought my sword. IMHO, the store keeper should be quilty as charged. And so am I strictly speaking. But I have committed a light felony of the regulation, while the store keeper have committed a serious one. Also, he was not a first time offender of the regulation.

P.S. Part of the regulation in stating the considered weapons is that it does not needed to be sharpened. Owner of such weapons need to register them with the Police Department.

Regards,

KC
Hong Kong

Student Weapon Rack with Upgrades

  • Mortise & Tenon Profiled Leg Base with Brackets*
  • Latched opening to allow kwandao with base spike
  • Hanging Pegs
  • Rustic Textured Surface to hide those nasty fingerprints
  • Post Dragon Pommels
    $149 (plus S&H)

Good list.

:slight_smile: