In Park's defense

Originally posted by tao of wushu
OHHHHHHHH, now I understand!!! Sorry, I guess I didn’t get the whole gist of your question! Hmm, personally, if I was to make a video, it would be for our students just for their OWN “notebook”. Many students that I have come across haven’t remembered their sets because they don’t practice every single one of them every day! I’ll only go back over a form so many times! I would sell it in my school so that they could buy it and have it ON hand to go back over when they want/need to! When it comes to the imput/output of the money part of the video, it’s not very worthwhile unless you sell tons of them! I was going to do DVD’s, since most my students have DVD players! Of course, this wouldn’t be for “home studying” only, it would also go along with the classes, and they’d learn the set even before they got the vid!

As for help on my website, I thank you VERY much. For right now though, I think we have most of it covered! And, we do have a discussion forum! You are in fact on it!! www.fu-ragz.com

That’s Wens discussion forum, but we have our own forum down at the bottom under school forums! It’s good for now…most of the students aren’t even on there yet, but soon probably will be!
Thank you though!

Jason

Heh Heh, I actually new all that. :stuck_out_tongue: The point I am getting to is the cost of producing a video is prohibative unless you are marketing something that would be universally useful. I understand where you are coming from though. Before I met my teacher I too spent 8 years with a northern shaolin teacher. I learned over 40 forms including weapons of which I can remember maybe 10 today. Fortunately my teacher than encouraged me to video tape myself doing them. I also have tape of him and his teacher doing them. So every now and then I look at them. A useful tool at best but and invaluable to say the least but I doubt anybody would pay money for them. Now I’m considering producing some tapes to go along with seminars. I’m wondering what would be the most important thing to put on them. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Hmmm,
If you put together tapes to go along with seminars, it would be best to put the information that you are doing the seminar on. Maybe also go into it a bit more in detail, add some history, vid clips, etc. Also, you might wanna add a teaser about something that you’re interested in doing a seminar on later…that way, people will be interested, and will be willing to come back for more!!! But, leave one of two items out of the tape, so you can market that for your seminar, and won’t just buy the video tape itself!!

Just a few suggestions!

~Wen~

evolutionfist,

excellent. the specific move you describe is what we’d call ‘gunting’ in FMA. ‘scissors.’ probably also adopted from chinese methods.

and since i’m on a taiji forum, thought i’d mention that i’d also noticed a lot of similarities between filipino largo mano (long hand) methods and the longsword forms in taiji. a lot of what you described. fading away and hitting the hand.

stuart b.

So, BT said he was going last week. Did he ever go? What happened?

Originally posted by wushu chik
[B]Hmmm,
If you put together tapes to go along with seminars, it would be best to put the information that you are doing the seminar on. Maybe also go into it a bit more in detail, add some history, vid clips, etc. Also, you might wanna add a teaser about something that you’re interested in doing a seminar on later…that way, people will be interested, and will be willing to come back for more!!! But, leave one of two items out of the tape, so you can market that for your seminar, and won’t just buy the video tape itself!!

Just a few suggestions!

~Wen~ [/B]

Thanks ~Wen~,
Good suggestions. I’m thinking mostly applications on a tape. Most people go to a workshop want to learn a form and don’t want to take a beating so they can’t finish the workshop. Applications are valuable on a tape with or without a form. I’m thinking applications is the way to go.:wink:

Anyone else have any good suggestions?

apoweyn and evolutionfist

Nice discussion on tri footwork. Wing Chun has a similar method, found in the dummy form.

Moving from a bong chor sau (bong sau to the inside of an opponent’s bridge - we call this Wrong Bong :slight_smile: ), and moving bong to tan sau with a palm strike to the ribs.

This hand method is accompanied with footwork as per your description. A kinda out-and-then-in motion in one fluid move.

With regards moving the head out of range against the jab, we tend to do this also with a subtle shift in footwork while raising an arm to bridge (make contact) with the jab. As soon as the jab retracts, we follow. (Receive what come, “escort what leaves”, on loss of contact… strike)

Recently we’ve been working on a series of sensitivity drills that deal with this: adjusting to avoid an attack, bridging, following the retracting hand (which more often than not opens up an attacking angle).

The drills involve using a flexible tan, bong or pak sau, and issuing with an appropriate hand attack.

Yes, I enjoyed Wing Chun greatly. I couldn’t imagine understanding what my master is teaching me if I had to learn sticking at this point. That was one huge piece of the puzzle missing from Issin-Ryu. Scary to think I used to fight without it. I guess I was relying on good timing, get in and out quick, or get in and just keep the pressure on. But not much control that way.

For the record though, I was merely discussing things I have learned in the past. My master’s method has no set footwork. The foot just supports the body.

When I occasionally play without outsiders, they see something and say it is similiar to what they have. But usually they are bigger then me, so if we are doing the same thing and they have the height/weight advanatage, why does it work for me and not them?

In those instances I quote my master: “I have money, Bill Gates has money, don’t say it’s the same thing.”

He usually drives points home with things like that.

Anyway, I love these martial arts. :slight_smile:

lol

This went and turned into a decent thread :)) Jeez, get back on topic guys-Does Park suck, or not suck, that is the question…:))

Gary

Um, REALLY lets NOT start this again. Leave it how it’s going!! All nice and civil. Gary, go ride your motorcycle and stop startin crap!! :smiley:

~Wen~