Is there anyone here who believs that forms alone will get them ready for fighting in any form?
I’ve read not one but two comments in the last two days about guys who think forms training is all there is. This has also circulatd through the forum a few times in the years I’ve been here.
I can’t recall meeting anyone who believes forms alone will will carry you througha real fight or a competition. Anyone else?
I know some of the really traditional guys, or more likely the guys who are new to the martial arts thing can sometimes put more stock into the concept fo forms training but I’m curious if anyone really believes that there are people out there who believe forms are enough?
Those guys are idiots. Forms alone for many years will get you ready to fight a sissy b!tch, thats about it. If you never hit a bag, or a moving person, you will bounce off the first thing you try to hit.
I don’t believe at all that Traditional means only forms. That would be ridiculous. I think that the form of art you are practicing is very important and I think that practicing the forms a lot is very important. There are many different types of forms and some are not meant for fighting but for personal cultivation, conditioning, and honing a martial art skill.
I don’t think it is appropriate to say that traditional means ‘only’ forms. The traditional people that I have met are all very interested in forms but also very serious about fighting and actual combat application.
Otherwise you’ve got yourself a dance school!
Forms are very important, but not the entire world. They give you the oportunity to practice a multitude of techniques from many different postures, and help develop your stabilizer muscles, which will highly improve your balance. You also get better at ambidextrious movement. There is a very long list as to what forms do for you physically and mentally. But nothing in any form can do what kicking a heavy bag 100 times will do for you. It is simple logic.
Another common missconception is that techniques that are hidden in the form, once discovered suddenly become viable, with no further training. Like you dont need to drill or pressure test a move before you own in.
first of all. I don’t believe forms alone can get people ready for fighting anything more than thier shadows, and frightening non martial people who don’t know any better.
that being said.
what do you think about two person sets?
if one practices multiple two partner or 3 partner sets , do you think that will assist one in getting ready for actual random combat?
Good question! I think 2 man forms help considerably. You learn timing and space against different size opponents. But it’s still no supstitute for sparring.
Yes. My cousin’s wife. :rolleyes: She studies karate. She does do some point sparring, too, but her “skills” look like they would be more at home in a gymnastics compatition.