An "Inside" scoop on Praying Mantis

Wow!

Extremely interesting article. Thx for sharing ShaolinMantis.

Excellent material

This material is remarkalbely interesting. It addresses quite a few areas that were clouded and put forth possible theories (we have to becareful with oral tradition when new material comes to light). Here are some points that I find most interesting. In one of the article concerning the history of Tai Chi Praying Mantis, some of these points are addressed as well yet with slight differences.

  1. The background of Wang Long. In both versions, he came from wealthy and powerful family.

  2. Influence of his father. In TCPM, his father hired Sifus to teach Wang Long.

  3. He was well versed in TaiJo (TaiZu) Long Fist. In both versions.

  4. He travelled lots, far and wide as well.

5)He made frequent stays at “A” temple in Shantung province. He seemed to have established an operation base of sort.

6)He Learned 17 style and went to creat 1 more.

7)He was battling someone (friend or foe) whom inspired him to improve.

8)He observed a battle between the insects.

9)He took 12 principles from his own study. In TCPM version, he took from his Taijo LongFist teachers’ teaching.

10)He compiled 3 forms. Both versions are the same. In TCPM version, it took him 6 years and the help of the abbot in the Shantung temple.

11)He had a hugh social network of martial artists.

12)He was involved in the rebellion against the Manchurians rulers

13)No further theory of what happen to him afterward. Did he die of natural causes, captured or others?

It seems some questions being answered yet again it opens new avenues. The search continues…

Thanks for sharing Sihing Shaolin Mantis I.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

Hey, I’ve been there…

Interestingly enough, I’ve actually been to Hua Yi temple in the Laoshan mountains. It was pretty difficult to find, as it wasn’t really marked on any of the maps, and it wasn’t listed as being a place that had anything to do with preying mantis. But joy! We found it (after a heck of a lot of walking through those mountains), and sure enough, there was a pagoda, a big plaque, and a couple of enourmous statues that had been built to commemorate Wang Lang, and if I remember correctly they had parts of that story enscribed onto a stone tablet. All of this is actually outside of the main temple, in a little out of the way area that is denoted as being the martial arts school (now empty and abandoned). Hmmmm…I’ll see if I can find any of the pics I took and post them up here if you guys want…

Thanks!
Sandman[Wing Chun]
Wing Chun Forum Moderator.
Student-www.authentickungfu.com

mantis

its nice to see an intelligent discussion of this issue i would lke to congratulate all on this thread for keeping the true spirit of the martial arts in mind and not spewing garbage, threats, and insults like so many other threads. I am a wah lum student and appreciate the cvility of the posters