18 Styles revisited…
The following is copied and pasted here from an old discussion on about the 18 styles. It is from my forum. I also added new comments underneath. Enjoy:
[b]Greeting BaiLongFei,
First of all, welcome to the discussion. Thank you for sharing your thought. I might have missed your introduction. But if you have a chance, I would much appreciate your posting one in the member loung folder so that we can get to know you better. 
Back to the thread:
<BLF> in brackets I have placed the relevant style to the line (which are currently practised). The Poem seems to represent styles in some instances and characteristic features of styles in others. All, do exist .
<Robert> True. But I believe that some systems have forms and use them to transmit their teaching. Others use what I would call a short strikes protocol which is similar to what we practice in CCK TJPM Sau Fa. What I am trying to come across is that at 2 of the “masters” in the Discourse are known Icon mentioned in the same novel in popular Chinese culture (ie Ying Ching and Lam Chung). If you examin, the order of the 18 arts using the conventional reading method there are only nine collums (2 lines forming 1 collum). It just so happen that Ying Ching and Lam Chung was under the same collum. To me that’s more than quite an coincident and far too convinent. So I believe we have to question the intent of the whole piece. However, as a discourse of fighting method(s) , this is still a valueable piece.
<BLF> the 18 Discourses :
"1.In the beginning there was the “Long-range Boxing” (Chang Quan) style of Emperor Tai Zu. [TAIZU CHANG QUAN]
<Robert> Question: This is the only style that is not listed with a particular master but its creator. Also Taizu was a postmortem title add by the Song imperial court. So that means it could not have been used while he was alive. But this piece is supposed to be a record of 18 masters met or taught at Shaolin during the Song periods? Shaolin temple (Henan province) was somewhat under Gin army control through out even the Song dynasty. Could this type of MA event easily happen during a turbulant time? I wish someone will come up a theory or an explanation for this.
This style is found in many nothern provinces including Shandong. However, which form in Mantis is derived from Taizu Chang Quan? If we have to take this piece seriously we have to ask tough questions like this.
<BLF> 2.“Through the Back” (Tongbei) boxing of Master Han Tong is considered parental. [TONGBEI QUAN]
<Robert> The most popular lineage of Tongbei is said to be only trace its lineage back to Late Ching dynasty (1800s). Piror to that it a blurry picture. One legend has it that Han Tong was taught by a White Ape immortal. So…
I can see some Tongbei techniques in Some mantis lineages such as 7 star but other lineages are not so clear.[/b]
[re:] Through the help of TJPM/TJMHPM friends, I have come across techniques there are similar to Tongbei in those styles and lineages. So it is clear to me that Tongbei influence permeates mantis styles. BTW, “maternal” would sound better and more cohersive in the context of the discourse instead of “parental”.
[b] <BLF> 3.Hand technique “Rap Around and Seal” (Chan Feng) of Master Zhang En is especially profound.
<Robert> This technique appears in the 12 characters principle (12CP) in TJMH Quanpu but not in the 12CP of 7*
<BLF>4.“Close-range Strikes” (Duanda) boxing of Master Ma Ji is the most remarkable. [ FANZIQUAN ]
<Robert>There is a northern Shaolin form called Duanda is there any relation? Or this is what you suggested as Fanziquan? How much mantis is similar to or absorb from Fanziquan?[/b]
[Re:] Fanziquan is originally name Ba Zhan Fan which was mentioned in Ming dynasty General Chi’s book.
[b]<BLF>5.It is impossible to come close to Master Huang You who knows the “Close Range Hand Techniques” (Kao Shou).
<Robert>Personally, I think this is same as Kao Da method (2 stars or 3 star stuff - see my other thread on this) that we practice.
<BLF>6.The technique “Blocking Hands and Following Trough Fist” (Keshou Tongquan) of Master Jin Xiang. [LIU TONG QUAN]
<Robert>I haven’t seen Liu Tong Quan. So I have no idea what it is like. From what I gather this technique is the concept of offense and defense at the same time - something like Feng Tong Tsui (right grab left punch) which is corner stone of mantis punching tech.
<BLF> 7.The hand techniques of “Hooking, Scooping and Grabbing Hands” (Gou Lou Cai Shou) of Master Liu Xing.
<Robert>Obviously, 3 of the 12 characters in 7* and 8 steps and also found in our TJPM Wooden dummy book.[/b]
[Re:] Gou Lou Cai can also be found in Mizongquan.
[b]<BLF>8.The “Methods of Sticking, Grabbing, and Falling” (Zhanna Diefa) of Master Yan Qing. [MIZONG QUAN]
From a book, which has brief key elements of different style, it has the exact 12 soft principle listed with the Mizongquan. But the earilest reference to 8 hard 12 soft (weapon usage) can be found in Ming Gerenal Chi’s book.[/b]
To be continued…