Response to EarthDragon
“what I menat about kung fu being a way of life is what I have expeirenced In my life! I have had the oppritunity to live with two chinese masters at different times in my life, and what they have taught me reflects on every part of my life wether it be for fighting, meditation, qi control or just a positive perspective on life from a enlightment point of veiw.”
It’s great that you had the two role models to follow but it should be taken in a separate context to kung fu.
For example you can learn to say play the paino and do so very competently and maybe even become a performer in your own right. But it is not a necessary to follow the foot steps or adopt the views of one’s teacher.
Similar with kung fu. Mantis Kung Fu being a system is a set of rules / principals of classical combat. Just as there is a science to areal combat, there is a science attributed to classical combat.
I’ve had friends with people who are martial artist and others who have other hobbies or careers. What I can say is that we cannot deduce someone’s personality or character by the things they enjoy doing in their free time or work life.
That’s why I disagree with the view that kung fu is a way of life. Sure it can be a part of your life as are many other things.
“What I mean is if you go to a gym to work out its for exercise, when you hang up your towel after you’ve showered your exercise is over! when my students leave the kwon they go out into the world with different eyes and place judgement upon expeirence rather than negitivity!”
Well I guess, kung Fu albeit mantis requires dedication and hardwork which can become positive attributes in other endeavours. However, these and other qualities could be developed through other means. For example a world class golf player must have this sort of motivation besides having talent!
“As for the form (lanjia) yes their are many twisting waist movements, we call this (jing) corkscrewing power taken fom the ground and generated through the hips and out through the hands, however it is the opening movement that I was reffering to explain everything is not always what it seems, especially in chinese kung fu where many movements are hidden or secret not for other people to see or understand for that matter!”
I’m not sure if it’s taken from the ground. It comes from the waist and back. yes you get good grounding and forward action - but it’s from the waist twisting. There are a couple of moves where the turning is done in the air.
The opening moves are unlikely to be throws. It is to do with applying forearm pressure and creating a “wedge” to prevent a bad situation from getting worse. OK that’s the basic applications, but that sort of forearm pressure can be applied to getting into postions for you to put “locks” on. And the upweard striking claw is deals with situations when you’re taken unawares - so u hit anything, their jaw, inside of their arm etc… anything and everyhing - no time to think! That’s why I was emphasising on the waist twist and all the hand movements are the result.
In terms of the moves being a secret - I probably see it in this light. Let’s say you’re a novice at English, it is unlikely that you’ll be able to appreciate Shakespear. Same thing with Mantis, I don’t think that the intention was to hide anything, more so the fact that an untrained observer is not skilled enough to pick up the content.
The fist form in mantis is probably Bung Bo. That level already deals with combat tactics - which would suggest that the basics (kicks, punches, correct stance work) is assumed knowledge. A beginner would have to train in these basics before moveing to Bung Bo. What more Lan Jia - which is another level of difficulty up. Answers the questions of what IF Bung Bo breaks down. Lan Jia is a very important set - in my opinion.
Maximus Materialize!