Hi again,
Has anyone used a book to learn tai chi or tai chi chuan, i am doing Wing Chun at the mo and have heard that internal energys can be focused by practasing chi kung.
I am going to get a book by Master Kam Lam Chuen, and just wonder if its possible to learn the art of tai chi or chi kung from a book or if lessons from a instructor will be a better idea,
Thanx
Dave
You’ll shoot your eye out.
Re: Tai Chi
Originally posted by garbutt
[B]Hi again,
Has anyone used a book to learn tai chi or tai chi chuan, i am doing Wing Chun at the mo and have heard that internal energys can be focused by practasing chi kung.
I am going to get a book by Master Kam Lam Chuen, and just wonder if its possible to learn the art of tai chi or chi kung from a book or if lessons from a instructor will be a better idea,
Thanx
Dave [/B]
I tried many years ago to learn from a book since I thought I was a hot shot. It was impossible. I have not seen a good book about taijiquan anyway. Well, the DAO of Taiji is okay.
But you know, taiji is heard to learn from a GOOD teacher anyway, how in the hel.l are you gonna learn from a book? I
Here’s a tip, try learning brain surgery from a book and see how it works out.
you can’t learn much about Kung Fu that you will be able to apply from a book about Kung Fu, you can only learn Kung Fu by direct experience. If you interpret the book incorrectly due to yourself or the authors way of writing, then what?
books are learning tools only after you have a solid foundation in a given field. They are virtually useless to the uninitiated and that’s the human condition.
Unless of course you are some freakish 1 in a billion braniac, in which case can you help me?
even leonardo apprenticed.
peace
“You’ll shoot your eye out.”
LOL! **** what was that film called?
“learn Tai Chi from a book?”
-I wish 
I think a couple of gentle, simple Chi Kung patterns can be book learnt but I wouldn’t bother attempting to learn Tai Chi because there’s (presumably) a lot of subtle movement and feeling that writing couldn’t convey.
Books can open up ideas that you may not have thought of, IMO if those ideas are not already in the direction of your training or natural understanding I would think it would be very difficult to pick up anything useful.
Having said this you can always build strong basics with many ideas presented by books.
Again hard if your not predisposed or open to a new line of thought and willing to give it a try.
The most important basic I would work on would be the ability to relax (sung) in any position, in any situation. Some books might have some good tech. for doing this. if you can do this one thing,
(for most this is the hardest point to grasp and learn) a teacher could quickly train you in the rest.

Movie
Nafanal-Most likely it was from A Christmas Story, when little Ralphie wanted a Red Ryder bb gun, haha.
Yea i did think about all that however whats the harm in trying, maybe this will be on eof those good books which actually represnts the movements well.
