Sin City!

Well Robert Rodriguez & Quentine are old buddies… the question is can anyone name what scene he directed?

A PREACHER flick has bounced around Hollywood for a few years now. Originall BEN AFFLICK was cast as the lead (this was around the time of his role in DOGMA) and most recently James Marsden (Cyclops of the X-men) has been mentioned for the lead role.

Back OT

I finally saw Sin City last night. . . . I liked it but I wasn’t blown away by it. It was campy, tasteless, disturbing, funny, and brutal. Some wonderful images and characters. . . . I can’t really place my finger on the problem, but I think it must be the source material. I usually don’t mind style over substance when it’s done as well as this, but some of the motivations and plot points seemed too convenient even for a pseudo-noir type story. I’ll need to watch it again.

Oh, I would have connected to Alba’s character more if she had shown more skin. Seriously, I’m not just being a h0rny fan-boy here. The sad thing about her character, and that story, is her loss of innocence, and having her dance, but fully clothed, cut against that. Imagine Hartigan’s pain to see the skinny little Nancy dancing topless for all those sweaty brutes? This is what he failed to save. . . . In the film, the same motivation is there, but it’s diluted.

Marv was the best thing about the film. And Frodo was creepy.

I was shocked it wasn’t NC17 as well however I think I figured out how they got to an R rating instead. First of all most of the blood is white, not red, which is apparently an issue they consider. Second, there’s not a whole lot of real harsh language to be honest. My guess is they cut used both of those to get a better rating.

Went and saw it again last night! It gave me time to focus on the small things, some of the one liners I missed the fist time, or how the shots were setup to resemble the actual frames in some of the comics - I was informed that there quite a few shots straight out of the comics by my brother in law who is a huge Frank Miller/Sin City fan.

Marv is still the best character in the movie.

I agree with you Judge Pen, not only because I’m a ***** man, because who doesn’t want to see her junk, but it just seemed sort of wierd that with all the nudity and partial nudity involved, the one stripper int he movie never flashed any real skin.

I’ve actually got a Saturday off this week - I’m going to see it, alone :frowning:

However, I will be hitting on this cute girl that works the concession stand, see if she’ll watch it with me.

actually I sort of enjoy going to movies alone from time to time.

I do too. If you take the wrong person to a movie, they can ruin an otherwise great movie for you.

for some comparisons of the Movie to Film compsitions

saw it last night

it was pretty good it just felt long and drawn out! the film it self was what i expected! the one thing i hated was the long ass inner monoloques! but the film would’nt have been as good without them!!! man they had so many stars in that flick!!!

I think I was a bit expecting some of the original comic art to be presented in the film as well. I think some leaked footage at some comics convention had the art interspersed with the film and i thought that was effective, but they really didn’t do that much in the film.

Those looong ass inner monologues where a major aspect of the comic. Much of it was lifted line for line in the film. Expectable when FRANK MILLER is writer/director.

I was continually impressed by the casting. Just found out that the film was shot at Robert Rodrigez’s ranch… green screen of course. He quite the film director’s union so he could CO-Direct the film with Miller.

Anyone recognise Quinten’s piece?

The comic art was used in the opening sequence & I lived how it was presented
“Mikey Rourke as MARV” (then a drawing of MARV as he appears in the comic). It just read to me as an acknowlagment of these actors representing 2D fictional characters.

Didn’t QT direct the scene where Dwight is talking to the head of the dead cop in the car?

And the campy voice-over is a kickback to all the old Mickey Spilane noir films.

[QUOTE=Design Sifu]Well Robert Rodriguez & Quentine are old buddies… the question is can anyone name what scene he directed?

Yes, the scene in the car with Dwight hallucinating and talking to the recently deceased character played by Del Toro.

Greetings,

I saw the movie and really enjoyed it. I feel if they were going to go this far they should have gone all the way and made a NC-17 movie. I think they would have made the rating a respectable one, unlike Showgirls.

Mickey Rourke was fantastic as Marv. I could almost see the comic frames freezing every move (and pretty much through the whole movie); especially the scenes where he took his meds and the pills are just splashing all over the place.

Overall, one great ensemble movie.

mickey