Aikido and Internal MA connected?

Rockwood, I’ve seen that piece before. My only complaint with it is that the person telling the story hasn’t been identified, and claims that he heard the story from Terry Dobson and Don Draeger, both very prolific writers who’ve never put this story in to print. So where did it come from? Perhaps you can shed some light since you site it.

In order to hear the other side of the coin, this excerpt comes from an interview of Chiba Sensei by Arthur Lockyear who wrote the piece for Fighting Arts International (issue #70).

" (A.L.)As we are talking about challenges would you mind telling me about your confrontation with Mr. Wang, the Tai Chi Master from China?
(Chiba)Who told you about this…Mr. Cottier perhaps?
BPerhaps I’d better not tell…[/B]
(Laughter)
(Chiba)O.K. then. I was in a big demonstration of Martial Arts in Tokyo in the early 1960’s, and Tai Chi Chuan was being shown by Mr. Wang. He was from Taiwan and he was very big indeed. He became quite famous later in Japan. Well, at the end of his display he had a number of Karateka line up in front of him, and each of them punched him in the belly. It had no effect on him. I was not impressed. I would have done something else (Sensei demonstrated a groin kick and face punch whilst saying this).
So, anyway two of my private students were also studying Tai Chi under Mr. Wang, and they were very impressed with him. They invited me to come along and see him. Eventually I accepted and went to watch his class. At the dojo my students introduced us, and he politely asked me to show some Aikido. Even though his words were warm it was still a challenge! Well, we faced each other, and Master Wang made something like Sumo posture with his hands outstretched. I stood and waited for an opening. This went on for some minutes until he moved forward to push me. So I met him, made Tai Sabaki (body evasion) and took his wrist with Kote Gaeshi, (wrist crush/reversal)…his wrist made a loud snapping noise as I applied it. Even though I applied Kote Gaeshi strongly and injured him, he did not go down. Master Wang snatched his wrist from me, and challenged me immediately. So this time he pushed me with both hands in the belly, and threw me quite a distance across the room. I landed, but I also did not go down. It was an amazing throw. My students then came between us, and that was that."

Ah Doug, can we not lay the animosity between us to rest? Perhaps it’s just your writing style, but you often come off sounding antagonistic towards me. I’d like to give you the benifit of the doubt here and extend another apology for getting short with you last month. Perhaps we can move on.

As far as having proof of the stories passed on orally and in written format, you know I cannot provide this. Filming of such events was not a common practice in pre and post WWII Japan for several reasons. I’d like to point out that the many fantasic stories sighted concerning internal martial artists of the past are also unverifiable, but this dosen’t keep people from repeating them on this forum.

Unlike many of the old-time Chinese internal artists, many of the Aikido masters I’ve mentioned are still alive, and are still demonstrating the level of skill attributed to them. Thankfully, they are willing to tell us what it was like to train with O-Sensei, and since these men are of impeccable character, I’m willing to take thier words for it.

Terry Dobson was there and had no reason to lie.
Chiba got squashed.

"I will quote the story that Terry Dobson told me, which was corroborated at another time by Donn Draeger. I also heard Terry tell this story again in a group with Mitsugi Saotome present, who amidst laughter chimed in and agreed. I didn’t know that Ken Cottier was present but he was also part of the group.

First, some context. Wang Shu Chin, for those who don’t know, was primarily a Pa Kua, Hsing I teacher, who also trained many years in I Ch’uan. He was a massive man, fat over heavy muscle, in his prime, about 5’6" and about 260 lb, I’d guess. He also did t’ai chi, the syncretic form created by Chen Pan Ling, which he did in a very different manner from Chen (this form is, these days, often called the Guo Shu form, the “national form” of Taiwan). Wang was the head of a neo-Taoist sect, which strove to harmonize the major religions of the world.

As always, there are debates about how strong he really was, I studied with him only two months when he was months away from death from melanoma. I witnessed him knock over a very muscular kyoshinkai champion with a side-step and belly blow, but that was a a controlled situation, not free-style. Still, really impressive power, despite his illness. For me, one of the most interesting measurements of his “power” was that when I travelled in Taiwan, every teacher who was talking big and trying to impress with his credentials claimed to have beaten Wang.

Anyway, Wang originally came over to Japan in the '60’s, first to teach his son-in-law, who had married his adopted daughter. Among the first to study with him was Sato Kimbei. Sato, among koryu circles, was generally considered a joke. He collected scrolls and licenses. Otsubo sensei, of the Yagyu Shinkage Ryu, told in a very public forum, of Sato apporoaching him, asking how long it would take to get a menkyo kaiden and when Otsubo was noncommittal, trying to bargain with him. Otsubo allowed him to train with him and w/in two months, Sato was nowhere to be found, but years later, he was claiming licensure in the school. Anyway, Sato hooked up with Wang for some years, and this did give him legitimate claim to being one of the “pioneers” of Japanese t’ai chi.

Wang used to ask a former student of Sato’s to demonstrate what Sato taught, and he and his son-in-law would pick it apart, laughing and asking him to repeat cerain moves over and over. I also happened to be present at a workshop when the head of the Bejing wushu society, (forgot his name - the guy who put together the 48 movement syncretic t’ai chi form) and another practitioner, who has won the Yang t’ai chi competition several years running and Sato came up and told them that they weren’t allowed to teach because they hadn’t asked his permission, and they looked at him like you look at a deranged street person asking to borrow your briefcase, and walked away shaking their heads. Sato did nothing, and left with his wife shortly after. Sato is currently claimed as a senior infuence on the Genbukan and Tanemura - - -Oh well.

Wang started teaching in the grounds of Meiji shrine, and somewhere along the line a group of non-Japanese around Donn Draeger started training with him. Draeger learned some pa-kua, Wang would also show some Hsing I, but mostly he taught t’ai chi. Among this group was Terry Dobson, who was a live-in student of Morihei Ueshiba of aikido. Terry’s direct senior was Chiba. Wang was doing demos in Japanese martial arts demonstrations and as Ken Cottier put it, “here you’d have all these startched Japanese in their crisp kiekko gi and their crisp snappy movements and then out would come this fat Chinaman in grey flannel slacks and suspenders and he’d start doing impossible slow t’ai chi and he’d turn around and this ass as big as the moon would waft across the stage and then he’d challenge all comers to have a go at him and the young karate boys would be rabid and he’d let them punch his stomach or kick him in the groin and he’d just laugh it off but heaven help you if you tried to punch his head. He made it clear that that was out of bounds, and if you broke the rules, then he’d become, shall we
say, active.”

Terry stated to me, (I’m quoting as best as I can remember) “the uchi-deshi at honbu, particularly Chiba, started giving me a raft of **** that I was being disloyal to O-sensei by studying with Wang, and I asked O-sensei, and he said, ‘sure, do what you want’ but they wouldn’t let up so I said, “why don’t you come and check him out for yourself.” So Draeger and me took Chiba, Saotome and Tamura. Well, we walked in, and Wang scopes out Chiba right away, like he knows who has the attitude here, takes one look, and says, ‘come here boy.’ Seriously, Wang’s over sixty, paid lots of dues, is a religious leader and all, and here comes these punks, as far as he’s concerned, in their twenties, copping an attitude. So Wang lets Chiba punch him in the stomach. Nothing. Chiba tries again. Nothing. Well, now Chiba loses his temper, half turns away, and then tries to sucker punch him, thinking it’s timing. This time Wang sucks the fist into his belly and then drops, he gives it back, Chiba’s arm goes shooting back behind his ear, and he’s shaking his wrist in pain. Wang then let Chiba kick him in the groin. Nothing. So Chiba loses it, grabs Wang’s wrist and puts a nikkyo or kote-gaeshi on it, some wrist lock. I don’t know what Wang did, it was too fast, but Chiba slams on the floor and Wang’s doing something to him with one hand and he’s screaming in pain. Finally Wang lets him up and
says, “You’ve got a little chi, why don’t you come back when you acquire more?” Then he turns to Tamura and Saotome, who were standing there with their backs against the wall, and says, “you want to try.” They both shake their heads and we all went home. They never gave me **** about Wang again. . . . Far as I’m concerned, Chiba lost his chance at salvation right there. He should have quit everything and sat at Wang’s feet.”

Originally posted by BAI HE

Terry stated to me, (I’m quoting as best as I can remember)

When you posted the above quote, are you saying that you’re the one who wrote this?

No. I forgot to bold the article.

Fair enough. Where did you find the article, and who wrote it?

I don’t recall. I’ll look for it though.
This was by an american Aikidoka though.

BTW - No shame in losing to Wang Shu Jin, he was
a very bad, bad man.

He KO’d a prime Kumar, Hung Yisheng (in a friendly manner)
and hurt Jon Bluming on two different occasions.

Well, no offense, but unless you can provide a verifiable source I’ll stick with those versions which come from the people who were actually there. Strangely, though Terry Dobson was supposedly the one who related the story to our mysterious author, he himself didn’t choose to “quit everything and (sit) at Wang’s feet.” Instead Dobson Sensei chose to continue studying Aikido with O-Sensei and his Sempai Chiba Sensei, and never wrote anything about this incident, nor anything critical of his experiences with Aikido as an art.

As an aside, I recognize that there would be no face lost if Chiba lost to Wang either as Wang was many years Chiba Sensei’s senior. After fifty years in the martial arts, I doubt Chiba Sensei feels the need to prove himself to a bunch of newbie Americans. If he had lost, I think he would have said so.

.

For my thoughts, the story smacks of truth. Two of Chiba’s classmates related the story. Why would they do this?

The sheer absurdity of Wang taking a sumo pose and pushing Chiba in the belly should tell you something.

The only strange thing is that Chiba took a sucker shot at Wang and Wang didn’t really hurt him. It did take place in Japan tho’.

“I will quote the story that Terry Dobson told me, which was corroborated at another time by Donn Draeger. I also heard Terry tell this story again in a group with Mitsugi Saotome present, who amidst laughter chimed in and agreed. I didn’t know that Ken Cottier was present but he was also part of the group.”

I no longer travel in Aiki circles. Maybe you can contact
one of these folks listed. (Except for Draeger for the obvious reasons)

Originally posted by BAI HE
For my thoughts, the story smacks of truth. Two of Chiba’s classmates related the story. Why would they do this?

Ah, but since your source is unrevealed, we cannot verify whether or not the classmates actually related the story. As it’s you who doubt Chiba Sensei’s story, I’d think you would be the one who’d want to contact him personally. :smiley:

Originally posted by BAI HE
The sheer absurdity of Wang taking a sumo pose and pushing Chiba in the belly should tell you something.

Not absurd at all. Every shot I’ve ever seen of Wang taking a punch for a demonstration showed him standing in what could be described as a sumo pose:

http://www.marnixwells.info/Images/Wang_lineage/Punch%20_paunch.jpg

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:SoC8sZdwNDwJ:sambo.kwoon.info/album/data

He’s also very open when demonstrating form:

http://www.kwoon.info/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=268

http://www.taijiquan.info/img/zhuang-v.gif

Here’s a photo of B.K. Frantzis throwing someone with the sort of projection technique common to IMA:

http://www.energyarts.com/shared/library/videogallery/fajing.jpg

Isn’t one of the applications of Pa Kua’s “lotus palm” or “monkey offer’s peach” a strike to the abdomen with both open hands? I’m pretty sure it’s a very common technique.

Originally posted by BAI HE
The only strange thing is that Chiba took a sucker shot at Wang and Wang didn’t really hurt him. It did take place in Japan tho’.

Once more, because we cannot verify your source, we cannot verify this claim. I find it highly suspicious that Chiba would “sucker punch” someone since he was trying to demonstrate his art. Aikido doesn’t really have a “sucker punch” in it’s repertoire, so it wouldn’t have really proved anything if he had succeeded. Secondly, how exactly does one “sucker punch” one of the greatest Kung Fu masters of the twentieth century while he is fighting a challenge match? Shouldn’t he be expecting a punch?

“Not absurd at all. Every shot I’ve ever seen of Wang taking a punch for a demonstration showed him standing in what could be described as a sumo pose:”

Demonstration of taking a blow. Although, considering that Wang’s primary teacher was Chang Chao Tung and the manner in which he taught, everything must have felt like a “tap” compared.

As far as "testing Gung’? There are demonstratons of this power.
As far as JMA is concerned? Too much loss of face involved, so you don’t see much of this “testing”. Maybe Judo-Kai though.

Again, the onus is on you. I am no longer part and parcel of the Aiki-JMA thing. Disprove the version that I submitted. Is that too hard? This wouldn’t be the first, or last time Chiba Sensei was cat in a questionable light.

As far as his “Tai Sabaki” crap on Wang? No art specializes more thoroughly on protecting the centerline and destroying the opponenent’s centerline than Xing-Yi. So while Chiba is applying Kote Gaeshi, what’s Wang’s other hand doing? Chiba speaks as if this was a Demo…? That’s what Chiba does, Wang? He cracked people like cocaine and never said a word about any of it.
It just didn,t matter. Win, lose or draw? He never talked about that stuff, it just came with the territory.

The guys who did talk about it? Westerners. RW Smith, BK Frantzis, Donn Draeger and Jon Bluming.

Wang was a once in a lifetime Martial artist, even if Chiba gets his wrist? What about the rest of him? Do you really think Chiba Sensei could beat any of Bluming, Frantzis or Draeger in their primes?

Try comparing Wang to O-Sensei (save the fact that Wang fought people that weren’t his students) That is where Wang belongs, if in fact O- Sensei was that good at all. I’d be a hell of a lot more afraid of Sokaku Takeda than Ueshiba.

Furthermore, all the Aiki stuff I played againjst my BGZ/XY teacher?
He either countered (wrecking me) or simply “let go” or twisted out of. I’m not asking you to believe me, because whatever art you are studying? It’s usually the “best”. It just gave me a different perspective.

If you wan’t to get a better opinion, I suggest you look up “STRAWDOG” on www.emptyflower.com or “Meynard” at www.Shenwu.com

He has more experience in both the CIMA’s and JMA/Aiki arts than I can lay claim to and has studied with about the best there is
stateside in these arts.

http://www.energyarts.com/shared/library/videogallery/fajing.jpg

Basic Fa-Jing release. No lotus palm.

http://www.taijiquan.info/img/zhuang-v.gif

Standing postures. Wu Ji.

http://www.kwoon.info/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=268

Zhuang Zuan. Stake standing variation.

http://www.marnixwells.info/Images/Wang_lineage/Punch%20_paunch.jpg

US boxing coach Joe Brown testing Wang’s skill. This was a demo.

Originally posted by BAI HE

Again, the onus is on you. I am no longer part and parcel of the Aiki-JMA thing. Disprove the version that I submitted. Is that too hard?

I think I’ve done an admirable job of proving that your version is suspicious. If you disagree, please feel free to reveal the source of your “version”. How hard can it be? You supposedly found it somewhere. Who authored your story? I’m asking direct questions here that should be easy to answer.

I’ve provided verifiable sources, and photographs supporting my position, which is merely that according to the available evidence Chiba Sensei fought Wang to a draw. I really can’t see what more can be done to prove my point. If you want to continue disputing the facts I’ve provided, you can start providing some facts of your own. That’s all I’m asking.

Im a little curious about something…

Forget about it being xingyi and aikido, just think martial arts, ok.
Wang was around 60 at the time? between 40 to 50 years of experience in MA’s. Chiba was in his 20’s…i dunno you do the math. I find it a little far fetched that a martial artist in his 20’s would have a draw…or any kind of advantage…over someone that experienced, regardless of MA’s used.

Am i the only one who sees this?

Originally posted by Joseph_alb
I find it a little far fetched that a martial artist in his 20’s would have a draw…or any kind of advantage…over someone that experienced, regardless of MA’s used.

Yeah, that’s a good point. On the other hand, how many 60 year olds do you see owning young guys in street-fights, MMA matches, heck even Chinese Sanda or San Shou? Personally, I have to admit that I’ve never EVER seen an old man beat up a strong young man. Not that this invalidates your observation, but it certainly gives food for thought.

For me, this isn’t about whether or not Chiba beat Wang or vice versa. Whether or not Chiba lost, according to the unverified story Chiba acted like a jerk. Also, if we are to believe the unverified story, Chiba Sensei is a liar. This seems extremly improbable given what I know of the man. Despite his rough and tumble reputation, Chiba Sensei has demonstrated a high degree of respect for his elders over the years, and an impeccable level of openness and sincerity.

Chiba Sensei also hasn’t ever shown a racist streak toward anyone.Chiba Sensei’s taught students and started oraganizations in the U.S.A., South Africa, Great Britain, Canada, Japan, North and South Korea, the former U.S.S.R., France, Spain, Vietnam, the Phillipines, and Australia. I doubt this incident had anything to do with Wang being Chinese.

Conjecture isn’t the same thing as fact, and the fact is someone’s circulating an extremly caustic criticism against my teacher. I want to know where it came from.

True, 50 year olds dont fight very often, if ever. But this is my point…

Im going to asume your in your 20’s Jack, or just plain young. Would you stand a chance against the Doshu, for example, or Yamada sensei? thats my point.

Its hard to know the truth about something that happened so long. Martial arts are full of historic things and we may never know exactly what happened, unfortunally.

In the end theres no sense in breaking our heads trying to figure out who won…there will always be sides to the story.