bigsam, I’m afraid those articles are only available in print. If you follow the links I posted above, you’ll see them in the table of contents of those issues, along with a like to purchase back issues. That’s what funds this here forum.
[QUOTE=TaichiMantis;882130]Full splits isn’t that important, but flexibility is. I am a firm believer in foam rollers to help with this.[/QUOTE]
I recently have been working with a foam roller. I have seen have big improvement in flexibility and range of motion. It can be painful when you are knotted up but worth it.
I think you guys are missing LCP’s point. I’m sure he knows full well that men can indeed do the splits. his point was made in his last sentence:
what benefit does doing a full split have in fighting? Not much, really. It’s like doing a back hand spring - it looks awesome when people do it, but it doesn’t have any realistic application. Flexibility is a necessity; the ability to do the splits is not.
But, if doing the splits is what he desires, there is nothing wrong with that.
[QUOTE=SevenStar;885558]I’m sure he knows full well that men can indeed do the splits.[/quote]Oh no he doesn’t!
[QUOTE=Lee Chiang Po;881606]You are joking, right? Men folk don’t have the hips for that sort of stuff. If you are a girl I suppose that it would work, as I have seen a few women do it, but men have narrow hips and could injure themselve doing that.And for the most part, I don’t see how that would enhance your gung fu.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=SevenStar;885558]what benefit does doing a full split have in fighting? Not much, really. It’s like doing a back hand spring - it looks awesome when people do it, but it doesn’t have any realistic application. Flexibility is a necessity; the ability to do the splits is not.[/QUOTE]I’d say it’s a lot more useful than a back handspring:
[QUOTE=SteveLau;881610]Side split is an active stretch. That means we need to use strength to stretch the related muscles. … Also, doing strength training on the related muscles is an important key. …
One last point I want to say on the leg split training (side and front) is that it is a worthy exercise to do even for MA student who rarely moves in such large range. When one have or almost have achieved the full split, he will notice that he can do his related moves easier than before. This is enough reason for us to include the exercise in our regular training program…[/QUOTE]The related moves being any that use the thigh crease muscles, i.e. any kick and most punches, plus things like basing out in submission fighting.
Although, having said that I don’t really agree it should be part of everyone’s regular programme (and I have no plans to include it in mine)… I’m sure I speak for a lot of people when I say some degree more flexibility would be nice though.
[QUOTE=Lee Chiang Po;881606]You are joking, right? Men folk don’t have the hips for that sort of stuff. If you are a girl I suppose that it would work, as I have seen a few women do it, but men have narrow hips and could injure themselve doing that. And for the most part, I don’t see how that would enhance your gung fu.[/QUOTE]
No, your joking…right? I am all male and I can used to be able to do the splits up until about 2 years ago. I can still get about an inch from the full splits…and I’m talking the Chinese splits. Why do you think only women can do this?
[QUOTE=mkriii;885777]No, your joking…right? I am all male and I can used to be able to do the splits up until about 2 years ago. I can still get about an inch from the full splits…and I’m talking the Chinese splits. Why do you think only women can do this?[/QUOTE]You obviously have no testes.
[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;885797]I don’t kick people in the head anymore, the last time I did I knocked their head right off their neck.
Made a mess on my shoes.[/QUOTE]
LOL
well, its tough, either you kick their head off, or you put your fist through their face. i guess hands wash easier than shoes.
well, its tough, either you kick their head off, or you put your fist through their face. i guess hands wash easier than shoes.[/QUOTE]
Its why I started training Iron Palm, now I hit people and their insides disintegrate and the outside remains the same, no mess and no fuss !!
Sure if I put too much chi into it it may kill everyone in a 1 mile radius, but killing innocent people is a risk I am willing to take.
[QUOTE=sanjuro_ronin;885804]Its why I started training Iron Palm, now I hit people and their insides disintegrate and the outside remains the same, no mess and no fuss !!
Sure if I put too much chi into it it may kill everyone in a 1 mile radius, but killing innocent people is a risk I am willing to take.
:D[/QUOTE]