What kind of a routine would you recommend?
SevenStar and Repulsive Monkey are wrong. Braden is right!
Except for Sevenstar, hes right too.
Also,when I say functional muscle i’m talking about muscle like Bruce Lee had.It wasn’t for show but for use.
It seems to me, Bruce Lee’s musculature was mostly for show.
Really,and how did you come up with that?
Quote Viper55:
Also,when I say functional muscle i’m talking about muscle like Bruce Lee had. It wasn’t for show but for use.
–
Really, and how did you come up with that?
How did you come up with the converse?
As his job was an actor, and his muscles were most prominently seen being flashed on the big screen for hollywood dollars, it seems like a reasonable conclusion to draw.
Here’s how I came up with that.Bruce trained to make himself stronger,faster,and to have more endurance in a fight rather than to make it look like he could do good in a fight.How do I know this?He has said it before.Did he look like a bodybuilder?No.Was his muscle more functional for fighting than a bodybuilder’s?Yes.
of course I could be wrong but I don’t think that I am.
Sure, when he flexed them on the big screen they looked pretty good but that was not his goal.
“Bruce says so” doesn’t do much for convincing me something is true. Call me a skeptic. ![]()
How do you know what his goals were?
So you have read the Tao of jeet kune do… neat, John Little would be proud…
Fact of the matter is Bruce Lee was not only a martial artist, he as a actor, and although he made alot of chicken scratch notes and wrote alot of letters before he died - he was spending an awfull lot of his energy on acting before he died, whos to truely say what his muscles were for or what they were capable of.
Train for your goals. Evaluate your program for your progress. Train your tools for your use. Throw away what you find useless.
How did we even get so far off topic as to arguing over wheither bruce trained for size or efficiency?Lets just drop it. It’s not important.I’m sure that you’ll agree though that bruce had a pretty good workout routine set up to make him as efficient as he was.What kind of exercises did he do to reach the level he was at?
For someone who is weak(extremely),has alright speed,and pretty low endurance, do you think this exercise would be beneficial?
I don’t think it’s off-topic at all, because it speaks to what your goals are.
Personally, I think that if you want to be healthy, strong, and fast, you shouldn’t aspire to look like or train like Bruce Lee.
Quote Viper55:
How do I know this? He has said it before.
–
Terrible justification. Anyways, I dont think he actually said it, good possibility he wrote it somewhere and someone else published it.
If you are just starting in Shaolin 5 animals, I would think your focus for the time being would be on the forms, you will get good workout and good body formation by just doing your forms, doing them fast, slow, medium, many times a day. I would worry about bulking up and training your muscle for more specific functionality once you get to actually training and sparring, not just learning the basics.
If your body is weak, or lacking in some natural manner, formwork will fill you out, and it will be functional filling, too.
Quote Viper55:
I’m sure that you’ll agree though that bruce had a pretty good workout routine set up to make him as efficient as he was.
–
I would agree that Bruce Lee knew what he was doing as it pertained to him, but, since you are such a keen student of Bruce Lee and his efficient methods, you would know as well as the rest of us that he changed his workout routines almost daily (or very often to say the least.) Even if you read all of John Little’s little books, you would have a hard time figureing out exactly what Bruce Lee was or wasent upto at any given time.
Now, how do you judge how efficient a man was who died 30 some odd years ago?
Worry about how efficient you are.
i thought lifting for strength was the best way to go if you wanted speed?
working the fast twitch muscle as opposed to the slow twitch you gain from bodybuilding type execrises… or is that old news now too ![]()
Guys, I really hate to break this to you, but in the years since Bruce, there have been great advancements in training science.
While Bruce could perform some impressive feats, such as holding a 90lb bar straight out at shoulder length for like a minute or something (which may or may not be exaggerated), he was lacking in other areas. One account never saw him squat with more than 90lbs on the bar or something like that. It may have been more but it wasn’t that much.
I was going to say “I wouldn’t take exercise advice from someone who thought it was healthy to go around every day at 6% body fat,” but that may have been genetic so maybe it wasn’t his choice. I’m 8% bodyfat almost all the time no matter what I eat so I can’t really talk either.
But the point is… “because Bruce trained this way” is not that good of a justification for your training methods.
IronFist
Viper if you are really weak and not just saying that, I would suggest a lot of bodyweight exercises, maybe some swimming and working on good form on a few lifts like deadlifts and military press with very light weights.
Repulsive Monkey is still incorrect.
What you are saying are old-wives tales about weight lifting.