Chinese arts and Japanese arts

I am very sorry!!!

I have just discovered that my cable connection will only post short messages.

Sincerely,

Scott

Hi Scott, don’t worry about it! Thanks again for your insights. What is going wrong with your connection? Your first attempts mostly worked, but it looks like they got cut off. Maybe we can figure out what’s going on?

For the aesthetics discussion, it doesn’t matter, since we all have different ideas as to what is visually pleasing! I understand why someone would find it attractive, it’s just that I personally don’t. I find economy of motion and sound martial value to be visibly appealing - it catches my eye and creates a sense of enjoyment. Whereas “performance martial arts” such as modern wushu and aikido done in performance as you’ve described I find visually repulsive because they lack these qualities. I can’t explain this, as it’s simply a matter of opinion. Maybe it’s similar to a mathematician calling a certain formula ‘elegant’?

As for the chi thing, in the internal arts we don’t see it as a metaphor for something that happens with good body mechanics. Rather, it’s quite a real thing unto itself. That doesn’t make it mystical though! And that doesn’t detract from the value of ‘ki’ in aikido; it only suggests that the two are different.

Fow Pow,

“CLF uses a whipping jing but does the power from this whipping jing generate in the same way that a Taiji whipping jing “.

I really don’t know how to answer the question, as I’ve never heard of a Tajji whipping jing.

Your use of the word whipping to seems to a very physical description of something that is supposed to happen using the mind and chi. So I don’t know if we are talking about the same thing.

Even the post on Aikido, seem to attribute it to body mechanics or something. The people that I worked out with in HI probably would say something very different. But then I know very little about the art other then the people I met in HI.

I don’t presume to talk for Mr. Waysun Liao,
I mentioned his book as I understand and agree with his findings and explanations of chi, and the different jings.

I found this though touching hands with others and to a limited degree in my own practice. One thing that I have found missing in most of the post on jing.

Is the relationship between the mind and chi. It’s very hard to talk on this because if you have no idea or experience of chi then it is impossible to talk about using the jings. You really have to feel it used to really understand what is Li (strength) and jing is.

This is also why I’m skeptical of people who talk of Fa jing or adding fa jing to their movements. What you see is a result of what’s happing inside not the other way around.

So I would advise reading his book, then seeing if it matches your understanding.
Good post and interesting topic.

enjoy life

bamboo leaf

Braden,

I understand about preferring the practical aspects of the MA.

I agree with you qi is a real thing. I have experienced it many times. I mean that it is a term attributed to more than “the force” aspect most people confine its meaning too.

I have no idea what is up with my cable connection. It was was working fine uploading 2 weeks ago and now I cannot even send e-mail.

Sincerely,

Scott

HHhmmm

I take your point about Fa-jing this and Fa-jing that. Conclusively speaking you are very much correct in that grafting a single manifestation of Qi derived methods is in itself a bit debasing to a whole art. Yes, there are plenty of other Jings, and if we go by the classics though Peng Jing is the root of all Jings.So semantically speaking maybe we ought to re-focus are attentions on a Peng Jing thread, becasue if you can’t get Peng JIng then theoretically you can’t progress onto any other Jings like, Fa-jing, Zhe-De-jing or even (get ready for a re-vitalization of the Empty force thread) Lin Kon Jing.